Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Thanks to Pennsylvania Book Group



by Tracy Winegar
I had the rare privilege of actually meeting with and talking to two book groups this past weekend. One, here in Utah, had me over last Thursday night. I was very pleased that they liked the book, and even got a little emotional about it. I find that many people who have read it are so supportive.
On Friday, I flew out to Pennsylvania. The flight there wasn't very smooth. A lot of turbulence compelled me to eat very little. It was reminiscent of a crash sequence out of a movie. But I made it there in one piece. The following day I attended the book group there. It was so much fun. To go along with the 50s theme we wore vintage aprons, and the food fare was also more of the same. Jello salads, coffee cake, cheese quiches, etc. I'm sure they were astonished that I could put away so much food, but I will remind you that I was unable to eat the day before. I was welcomed very warmly and got to meet so many kind and interesting people. They had some amazing insights that really made me think twice about what I had written. All in all I would say it was a huge success.
I'm sold on book groups. They're the greatest. If you know anyone that's in a book group you might try suggesting Keeping Keller to them!
By the way, Doug, I promise never to call at 7:30 in the morning on a Sunday again. In all fairness, they are two hours ahead of Utah time, so it was 9:30 there.



5 comments:

Doug Johnston said...

I was going to get up by 8 anyway. I was just wondering why one of the authors was calling me at 7:30 in the morning on my cell phone. But at the time, I didn't know it was your cell phone, since I didn't put your number in my Palm Pilot. So, I just got a number that woke me up, and when I called it back, it was you. I thought one of two things, the plane crashed or you sold a trillion books.

Tracy said...

Unfortunately for me none of the above.

Abel Keogh said...

Sounds like lots of fun. How cool to go out of state and talk to people! Good job!

Rebecca Talley said...

Congratulations--that's fabulous. Sounds like it was very successful.

Janet Kay Jensen said...

Tracy, book clubs are the best! Even before you go, you know you're among friends, and you're going to have a good time.

So glad you enjoyed it!
janet