Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Blessing

by Lee Ann Setzer

This isn’t a book review, because I can’t remember the name of the book. Or what it was about. Chances are the genre was fantasy or science fiction…but maybe not. It wasn’t life-changing or profound. But it was a wonderful read—engaging, uplifting, and fun.

I went around all evening with that just-read-a-good-book feeling, and when I said my prayers, here’s what popped out: “Thank You so much for the wonderful feeling of having read a really good book!”

A skeptical corner of my mind hadn’t ever bought into fiction-writing as a legitimate job/hobby, but this experience helped put the skeptic to rest. The just-read-a-good-book feeling is a real blessing, and it’s a gift authors are blessed to share.

2 comments:

Terri Ferran said...

I have experienced that "just read a good book" feeling many times. As an author, that is my goal--to give others that feeling of a wonderful read that is engaging, uplifting and fun.

Thanks for reminding us that blessings are everywhere--we just have to look!

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Well, you know, I once read a study that suggested seeing a movie every now and then is actually good for the soul. It takes you away for awhile and gives you fresh perspective. The same goes for books, fiction especially!