Saturday, May 31, 2008

Joy of Reading

My daughter, Brynlee, is an avid reader. I like to think I instilled that love for words in her. My husband and I have a difficult time supplying her with reading material because she blows through it so quickly. The thing that pleases me more than anything is when I give her one of my favorites from my childhood, she reads it and loves it. A flood of memories comes over me. I recall where I was and what I felt when I was reading that same book. It is amazing how words can connect us, focus us on one central goal and idea. Through her, I have maintained that eager anticipation for reading a new book or revisiting an old, familiar one.
The greatest honor I have had with my writing was when she read my book, gushed about how she had loved it, and then asked me to sign it for her. I don't think that I would have been more humbled if it had been the president himself asking for my signature.

2 comments:

Shirley Bahlmann said...

I'm so impressed that you hold your daughter in such high esteem. She's so lucky to have you for a mother.

Marcia Mickelson said...

What a great feeling for her to want you to sign her book. I look forward to when my kids are a little older and I can give them books that I loved when I was younger.