Tuesday, May 20, 2008

LDS Market vs national market

I read the blog below this one, and I think Christine is like most first time authors and think that because there are millions of members of the church, that her book will end up in most of them. The statistics for book sales may surprise you.
In the national market, the lifetime average sales for a book is 3300. This takes in to consideration the books that sell over a million copies. That is very surprising to a lot of people.
In the LDS market, the average book lifetime will sell 3100.
You have to remember, that lifetime means from the moment it comes out until the moment it is not longer printed. This could be 40 or 50 years.

5 comments:

Stephanie Black said...

Doug, thanks for the eye-opener.

Doug Johnston said...

Now, if you are Stephanie Black, you can expect at least 15,000 book sales per book!

Terri Ferran said...

I want to be like Stephanie! By the way Stephanie, I just read your book "Fool Me Twice" and I loved it! Great job!

Stephanie Black said...

Oh my goodness, I WISH I could sell 15K books!

Terri, I'm so excited that you enjoyed Fool Me Twice! Thank you!

Abel Keogh said...

Keep in mind that the author can influence these number by the amount of time he or she can dedicate to marketing and PR efforts.