Friday, May 9, 2008

MORE ON GETTING STRAIGHT A'S

Lyman Rose

I just finished going over the proof for my book "How to Get Straight A's... Guaranteed --  The six secrets to success in college"  The proof looked good and the graphics are now corrected and in the right places.  I think that anyone who really wants to get straight A's can do it whether they use my six secrets or figure out something on their own but it really is an art.  I have nine children and they are all in various stages of school.  Over the years, I have explained some of the art of getting good grades to them.  I think one of the hardest concepts for them to understand is that if you want good grades you have to do what the teacher wants you to do.  It doesn't matter if you think that it is a "stupid idea" if the teacher wants you to build a bridge out of toothpicks.  If you want a good grade you must build the bridge!  One of the arts of education is discovering what the teacher wants from you.  Once that is determined, give them that and a little more and you will do well.

The six secrets in my book outline several ways to "over appease" your instructors.  You will give them what they want and a little bit more.  They will be happy and you will be happy.

4 comments:

Doug Johnston said...

I remember a high school teacher on the first day of his class giving us the assignment to write the numbers 1 to 1000 down on a paper and turn it in the next morning. Most people went 1, 2, 3 etc. I put 1 to 1000. he wasn't amused, and I got an f. Then I explained I did exactly what he told me and he laughed about it and gave me an A.

Rebecca Talley said...

My kids have had to build bridges out of toothpicks--I hate that assignment. But, yes, you're right, you must do what the teacher wants to get good grades.

Lee Ann Setzer said...

Ug--as a past university teacher, I can see what you're saying, dang it all. You like to think you're flexible and open-minded, but probably not so much.

It's the creative book report formats that give me hives, as a mom.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

I think you are so clever. I never got straight A's, and now I see why! I'm too much of a maverick.