Friday, May 2, 2008

Pine Cones

David J Stitt

In central New York the lawns have just gotten to the point that they need to be mowed for the first time this year. The fresh pine cones have dropped to the ground from the trees in the back yard. It was near sunset and I wanted to quickly mow the lawn before it rained again, so I was rushing to beat the setting sun. As I pushed the mower over the pine cones the mower mulched them along with the grass and produced a pine scent that was magnificent. There is no store-bought air freshener that remotely smells as wonderful. As I continued to push the mower I thought that this is one of those times when I need to slow down and enjoy the experience (“stop and smell the ‘pine cones’”). It was peaceful and I am so glad that I made that decision - I still beat the fleeting sun.

3 comments:

Doug Johnston said...

Don't we all need to just slow down and smell things around us. I have ADD and I am always listening to things, or so I thought. One night, I turned off the television, the lights (yes, I can hear lights) and just sat and listened. I could hear the fridge a few rooms away, and the computers on, but I started really listening. I heard small sounds in the walls, like the house was settling, I heard the dog sleeping, it was so nice. It was nice to just sit and relax. We need to do more of this! Great post!

Marcia Mickelson said...

Sounds great. Ahh, I miss the East. I grew up in New Jersey. You have actual Falls there. Here in Texas, it never feels like real Fall.

Unknown said...

I love spring smells and sounds, also. Even manure going on the vegetable boxes has a wonderful whiff and satisfying look.