Thursday, May 22, 2008

Take Time

By Rebecca Talley

Today is the last day of school. I have been counting down the days. During the school year, it's a constant battle to see if I will get to the end of my driveway before the school bus. In years past, if we weren't actually at the end of the driveway, the bus driver would pass us by (even if we were only a few feet away). From late August until mid-May the school schedule dictates much of our lives.

Although we will be free from the established schedule for the next few months, we will still be busy with theater camp, Scout camp, MTC camp, Wood Badge, Youth Conference, mutual and ward activities, Scouts, Activity Days, gardening, and building fence for our goats (and writing, of course).

I often think of the primary song, "Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?" and wonder just when we can sit by a stream and lazily dream as we watch the clouds go by? Seems like life gets busier and busier and time disappears so rapidly. But, I have to remind myself, I need to take the time right now to enjoy my life and my kids who are growing up way too fast. Amidst all the activities, I need to take time to savor the little things like my kids splashing in a kiddie pool, ooey-gooey mud pies all over the walkway, silly stories made up on the spot, s'mores over an open campfire, or watching the stars twinkle overhead. Time slips by so fast.

So take time today to hug your spouse, call your mom, tell your child you love him or her, watch a butterfly flit from flower to flower, and squeeze mud through your toes. These are the things that make life worthwhile and these are the memories that will keep us company when time becomes a curse instead of a luxury.

2 comments:

Lee Ann Setzer said...

Thanks for the reminder! If I'm not careful, I get overwhelmed by all that unscheduled time (and all those bored kids...).

Shirley Bahlmann said...

I was just reading an article that said our lives are so much busier now because we try to cram too much stuff into them. There are good things to do, better things to do, and best things to do. Sometimes we should let good things go for those that are better or best.