Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Baling Twine Necktie

by Shirley Bahlmann
It can be traumatic being fourteen. When my son went to a school dance on Friday, they turned him away at the door because he didn't have a necktie on. Angry and embarrassed, he left, declaring that he wasn't going back to that stupid school on Monday. Well, he didn't go back, because he got the flu, but that's not the point.
The point is that when his 17-year-old brother heard what happened, he said, "If they told me I needed a tie, I would have gone outside and found an old piece of baling twine or something of the ground. I would have tied it around my neck, then gone back and said, 'I've got a tie, now let me in.'"
I was impressed by his ingenuity. His attitude made me want to make things work that really matter to me. I hope you'll keep plenty of baling twine neckties on hand for your emergencies, too.
Cheers!

1 comment:

Marsha Ward said...

Shirley, your kids are awesome. It's so hard to handle rejection. Don't we authors know that well? He'll learn how to deal with it. The ingenuity talent of your other son comes naturally, because you and the Mister gave him great genes!