Monday, May 12, 2008

All She Wanted For Mothers Day

My mom has always been a strong woman. She divorced my dad when I was one and worked two jobs and went to school so I would have a better life. She lost my stepfather in 2000 to cancer and soon after she was diagnosed with stage 3 colan cancer. The doctors told her she most likely wouldn't survive. She did, and is still with us. For the last five weeks she has been in a rehab center, trying like mad to get back home. Some days are better than others. Yesterday, I was able to get her out of the rehab center for 3 hours for Mothers Day.
The only thing she wanted to do is to come home so she could see her two poodles. So for three hours, she sat and played with her poodles. She let them drink out of her cup, she fed them, and they slept with her. When it was time to go back, she wanted to go eat. I told her we could go anywhere she wanted. She only wanted Wendy's and we got her Wendy's. When we got there, she told us to go through the drive up. I thought she wanted to go in, so I asked her why she wanted the drive up. She said Leslie, her roommate, wanted a Wendy's salad, so she needed to hurry back and because it was lunch time.
Just like my mom, she ALWAYS has put other people before her. Even when she doesn't know what day it is, or who people are some days, she still looks out for others. And I am blessed to have her as my mother, now and always.

3 comments:

Marcia Mickelson said...

That is great she was able to spend some time with you on Mother's Day.

Lovely Lisa said...

Very sweet. Your mom was always so nice to me.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

That is so cool. I love how animals can be such a part of a family (my dad was a veterinarian)and your mom's thoughtfulness was inspiring. Thanks for sharing that story.