Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Why a Twelve Week Challenge?

Hi, I am Sidne O’Reilly, mother of 6, grandmother of 27. That sounds challenging in and of itself! I am also the author of The Twelve Week Challenge.

Having had a lifelong thirst for knowledge of how to be a better wife, mother and daughter of God I began a quest which has not stopped to this day. One of the advantages of being old enough to be the Grandmother of 27 is that you have had a chance to gain a bit of experience and perspective, read a lot of books and overcome some of life’s stickiest problems. The Twelve Week Challenge is a culmination of inspiration and a lifetime of experience. As might be expected, The Twelve Week Challenge gives readers an opportunity to set personal goals.

Goal setting has been particularly hard for me. This has been a blessing and a curse. I have learned much from setting and not achieving goals. I also learned much about the value of having goals to turn to that give direction and purpose in times of trial; especially while I was struggling with depression.

One of the valuable lessons I learned about goal setting was that when goals are set without consideration of your season in life or what is most important, achieving them can cause far more pain than the anticipated pleasure. After running up against this scenario so many times I finally realized that I needed help to understand what really was most important. This became a matter of prayer and the six priorities of The Twelve Week Challenge were born.

As the full title of the book says, The Twelve Week Challenge, Lay a Foundation for Your Success. The challenge is to begin some new habits based on living your life in priority order. At the end of twelve weeks, readers will have laid a foundation of not just knowing what is important, but of learning and using new tools to create true success.

In my next blog, I will explain how the concept of forming accountability groups came to me and how you can do the same.

I am cheering for you!

1 comment:

Christine Thackeray said...

Wow, it sounds like a great concept. I have done that two, set an challenging goal that did nothing to enhance the meat of my life. Can't wait to read this one. Thank you.