Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Hard Copy

David J Stitt

I sometimes ask people, after they have given a talk or taught a lesson, for a copy of something that impacted me. With all of the challenges that life presents us, the tasks that deplete us of physical energy, the disappointments, the frustrations, the anger with ourselves over choices that we make, and sometimes the desire to throw in the towel, there is a state of renewing and healing that comes to us when the Holy Ghost uses His power to carry the message “unto” our hearts 2 Nephi 33:1. I feel a unique gratitude to the person who was an instrument in igniting hope, healing, and an aspiration to make a needed change in my life. Sometimes, as a result of this, a person comes to my mind and an idea of what I could do to help them. I have learned by sad experience the disappointment and pain that comes from not acting ASAP when a prompting comes to help someone. Hope and motivation are two of my favorite feelings; they are gifts of the Spirit. It is equally as thrilling to have taught or spoken and then be asked for a copy of something that was said. Both circumstances, giving or receiving something inspiring, bring a unique feeling of happiness.

I don’t know if there is a better example of “all” being “edified” (D&C 88:122) than giving or receiving a hard copy of that which was an instrument of edification. It is an oasis in the desert of all the oppositions in life.

Here is how the Lord put it:
... when all have spoken that all may be edified of all …
(Doctrine and Covenants 88:122)

Years ago I gave the same talk a number of times. I found that it hit home with a lot of people and there was tremendous interest in the subject. The subject was about resisting temptation. To my surprise I received more requests, by far, for copies of it than anything else I had spoken about. A friend suggested that I write a book and after considering it for some time I began. The process was long and difficult and there were multiple publishing attempts but now the result is the book “The Master Deceiver: Understanding Satan’s Lies and How to Resist Them.”

http://www.cedarfort.com/catalog/9781599550800.html

Its publishing has brought much joy and motivation to me and I hope that it might be of some help to many of you.




1 comment:

Deniece Toheriri-Makatea said...

so greatful for heavenly father and our savior Jesus christ and the Holy Ghost, Im also greatful for a righteous spiritual bother that you are.
in the last month i have had awesome experiences too do with the priesthood in my life, i had so much too ask heavenly father too sort uot in my life, it felt so big and too big, i felt as if i couldn't get round it all,i could hear the holy ghost telling me too get a blessing but i diid't listen for age's,so i also went through the same pain,I'm so greatful for the righteous hands that have rested upon my head too bless in time of need,i remember i said i don't know what kind of a blessing too ask for as he rested his rigtoeus hands upon my head too bless i could hear and feel the spirit through this righteous man and the burdens lift in my life thank you for the same righteous hard copy in the name of our saviour Jesus christ AMEN