Friday, March 7, 2008

Missionary Moments

“Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.”
1 Corinthians 13: 8

Several months into my mission, I was transferred to a remote area where we visited several small branches of the church. One of these was particularly small; only about 20 people attended the meetings. The building was a rented school house. On one particular Sunday, as we were getting ready for the meetings we discovered that none of the people we had invited to church that day could come. My missionary companion left me with a Priesthood youth to prepare the sacrament while he left with another youth to find somebody to invite to church. When he returned I was shocked and surprised. He had returned with a vagrant. I remember the man was filthy, and foul smelling. His hands, beard, and clothes were covered with adhesives which he had been inhaling and possibly eating to get high. I remember being embarrassed for the people sitting next to him and waiting long minutes for the meeting to end. When the meeting finally ended I learned a life lesson. Each member spontaneously got in line to shake this man’s glue covered hands. They each told him how happy they were that he was there and hoped that he would return some day. These humble members of the church taught me a lesson that day about Christ-like love which I hope to never forget. Written by Bill H., Chile Viña Del Mar Mission, 1987-1989


This past year I gathered favorite scriptures, quotes, and personal experiences from 365 faithful Relief Society sisters from around the world. These experiences have been published in a daily inspirational book entitled One Heart, Many Voices.
I am now gathering submissions for a similar book for the missionaries of the church. My hope is that the pages of this book will inspire and encourage missionaries on a daily basis as they strive to serve the Lord. Bill’s experience is just one of the many inspiring stories which will appear in the book. However, I am still in need of more submissions. I would love it if you would share your own missionary experience to be included in the book (or if you are a convert, an experience which helped you while you were investigating the Gospel.) To do so, please send your entry to missionaryquotes@hotmail.com. A portion of the proceeds will be given to the Church’s Missionary Fund. Thank you!

No comments: