Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's a Small Cedar Fort World

Emily Cushing

I made a fun little discovery last night. One of the other authors on our blog is quoted in my book One Heart, Many Voices and I didn’t even know it (and I don’t even know if she knows it!) Let me explain. One Heart, Many Voices is a daily inspirational calendar for the Relief Society sisters of the church. Each day features a different Relief Society sister from around the world. The page gives the sister’s favorite scripture or quote and its importance to her in her life. My good friend Cortney sent me the following submission which I included in the calendar:

December 19
"Help me to remember that my children are a special privilege and not a task. Help me to think of them as fun and laughter and not more responsibilities. And most of all help my heart to be their age so I may understand."
My mother-in-law shared this quote with me one day after I had a bad day. I love it because it reminds me...of what a great responsibility we as mothers have and I hope to always cherish it and never take it for granted.
Cortney, Age 28, Utah, USA

As the mother of four young children, this submission from Cortney really hit home when I read it. Especially the line that reads, “help my heart to be their age so I may understand”. I have tried to remember this advice when my two-year-old spills a bowl full of milk shortly after I have mopped the kitchen floor or when a little person climbs into my bed at night because he or she has had a scary dream. I appreciated this mother-in-law’s advice even though it wasn’t given to me.

Last night I found out that Cortney’s mother-in-law is our very own, Mary Stosich. I also discovered that Mary has written an inspirational book entitled Finding the Diamond Within: 10 Ways Every Woman Can Sparkle. I’m excited to read Mary’s book. If the advice she gave to Cortney is any indication of what can be found in her book, then I know I will truly be inspired.

2 comments:

Karmen said...

Hi, if this is the Emily Cushing I think it is, than I am one lucky gal! This is Karmen, from High School. I heard you wrote a book and I want to know more about it. You were always the talented, sexy mama....and it sounds like you still are! Congrats on the book and I'll try to get my hands on it!

Tamster said...

Thank you for those thoughts. I'm going to have to try to keep that in mind when I am struggling with my kids (which is most of the time--hehehehe). :-)