Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Getting Out of Debt

Lyman Hinckley Rose

I was visiting a neighbor of mine this weekend and they had visitors from California up for a few days. As we chatted the fact came up (not from me) that I had written a few books. Their guests asked me about them and what they were about. When I mentioned that I had written one on Winning the War Against Debt their remark was that "everyone needs that, don't they". I thought about that remark and thought about the debts that hold us back financially. The credit cards, the consumer debt, the home equity loans etc. But then I thought about the debts that we don't normally think of, things like returning a good deed received from a friend, a smile that someone gave to us that we should really pass on. These kinds of debts are amazing because we can not only get out of this debt, but we can put ourselves into the giving of credit mode. We can pass on twenty smiles even if we only get one or two back. We can open ten doors even if no one ever opens one for us. We can share positive thoughts about someone else even if they only speak negatively about us. Certainly getting out of financial debt is important and frees us of being in the control of someone else, but getting out of "kindness" debt is even more exhilarating and the effects are life changing. A positive attitude can go a long way toward helping us in every avenue of life. Just like some recent commercials show, if we do something positive for someone else, they may well pass it on. But even if they don't we will have done something that pays extremely high dividends. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Christine Thackeray said...

OK, I will go to the Relief Society luncheon and pay off my debt. ERRR, I was hoping to get out of if but for all the whining sessions I've instigated lately, I've got to get out of emotional debt. Thanks- for nothing... not really- thanks. I'll be happy now.

Tamster said...

Thank you very much for that thought! It puts things into perspective. I'm going to have to work on that more--since I can't get out of financial debt very easily, I may as well get ahead where I can! :-)
Ah, heck, here are a few more, just for good measure! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)