Monday, June 2, 2008

Service

By Rebecca Talley

Saturday was a super-service day in our ward. We cleaned the highway (7 miles, both sides). It never ceases to amaze me what people will throw out the window of their vehicles. I don't understand why motorists won't keep their trash a few more miles and throw it in a dumpster. We pick up plenty of beer cans and beer bottles. Do you think these people are drinking and driving? You bet they are. They finish their brew and out the window the can or the bottle goes.

The scariest thing my husband ever found was a hypodermic needle. Thankfully, he was wearing gloves so it didn't stick him.

After the highway clean-up, we had a blood drive. Donating blood is a great service to those who need it and they constantly need more blood donations (if you can pass all those embarrassing questions). My husband, one of my daughters, and I all donated. I even have a big bruise to prove it.

We also had some humanitarian projects like tying quilts and assembling school kits.

Our high school (located in a city 25 miles away) has adopted a service component for graduation. Students may not graduate unless they've completed 20 hours of service. I think this oversteps the bounds of the school, but illustrates how little service is done in some areas. In my small rural community, we are constantly involved in large and small service projects from moving people to making meals for those in need to donating blood. I'm blessed to not only live in a community that values service, but to be part of a church that provides service opportunities for its members. We are all better people when we look outside of ourselves and serve others.

1 comment:

Shirley Bahlmann said...

What a great idea! That is what the world needs more of.