Thursday, June 12, 2008

Flat Tire

by Tracy Winegar
So I'm just now getting a chance to blog about the writers conference last Saturday. Guess what happened on the way there? My tire blew out. This is ironic for several different reasons. For one, I just wrote about a similar experience in one of my books in the works. For two, I passed a guy the other day that was changing a flat, and I thought to myself, 'Huh, I've never had that happen'. Good thing too because I wouldn't know where to begin if I had a flat tire.
There I am, on the side of the road, unable to even figure out where the hazard lights are, with a flat tire. I immediately called my knight in shining armor, my husband, Ben. He got all four of our kids into the car and drove out to help me. In the mean time, some good Samaritan, AKA Mike Johnson from UDOT happened by, saw my dilemma, and stopped to help change my flat. Just as he was finishing up, my husband pulled up and thanked him. I did too. I gave him one of my books to show how much I appreciated him. Shameless plug, right?
It doesn't end there. Ben followed me all the way down to Springville, took the kids and the van, and replaced my tire. He left the van for me and then headed back home. Oh, isn't that so sweet? So I comfortably enjoyed the festivities, thanks to Doug for putting it on, while my dear husband juggled four kids and getting the flat replaced. I even got a very warm welcome from everyone who attended when I finally arrived, again thanks to Doug. I must admit I felt a little guilty for enjoying myself, knowing what Ben was going through behind the scenes.
By the way, if you haven't noticed from my other blogs, my life is a Soap Opera. But I'm still standing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your standing alright, with a smile and courage and compassion. So good to see you again at the writer's conference.
Love ya

Aubrey said...

Tracy-

You don't need to feel bad. We were late too, and it was my fault. Apparently, the GPS only takes you to the right place if you put the right address in. :( I shouldn't be trusted with anything more technical than the toaster.

Just picked up your book and I'm looking forward to reading it!