Sunday, June 22, 2008

An Assignment Almost Missed

By Christine Thackeray



I heard an interesting story today. Brother Brooksby was waiting in the car for an associate who had run into a convenience store to pick something up when the man hurried out again empty-handed. Bro. Brooksby asked what was going on and the man just said, "We've got to go." He turned the car around and began driving down the street when they came across a car accident. The man jumped from his vehicle to run to the assistance of a critically injured woman and they called 911. After it was over, the man got back in the car and said, "I almost missed that assignment, it's a good thing I listened."



Often we are called to places without the explanation of why we should be there. Like Nephi returning the last time for the brass plates or Elijah waiting in the cavity of the rock or Parley P. Pratt heading out on an unknown train, it is imperative that we answer the promptings we are given with strength and promptness. I've always believed that but I've never given those feelings the label of being an assignment- still, I guess that's exactly what they are.

1 comment:

Shirley Bahlmann said...

That is SO COOL! That's one of the best things I've read all day... all week... maybe even all year! I'm so glad you posted that. I need to get my head out of the box and do my spiritual assignments!