Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BYU Writer's and Illustrators Conference For Young Readers Review

By Kimberly Jensen

Last week was the annual Writer's and Illustrators Conference For Young Readers at BYU that brings together authors, illustrators, agents and publishers. I had the honor of meeting some of the best illustrators and writers for children in the market and talk with them one-on-one. Here are some of the highlights;

-Wow an editor with a fabulous first page, hook them in the first few paragraphs.
-FIND YOUR VOICE, FIND YOUR VOICE, FIND YOUR VOICE
-Find out how to write for teenagers without sounding like an adult, trying to be a teenager (they'll call you on it!)
-Read books on writing and read books like a writer
-Write your first draft, put it away for a while, then rewrite!
-Join a writer's critique group
-Write what you love
-Those who make it in the publishing world learn how to break through the brick wall of rejections, again and again.
-Learn how to market yourself, don't depend solely on your publisher

I would highly recommend this conference for anyone who writes for children. And I must give a plug to the fabulous children's authors who attended. Please check out their websites and their books:
Rick Walton
Kathy Appelt
Claudia Mills
Jeannette Ingold
Jeanette Rawlins
Brandon Sanderson

3 comments:

Christine Thackeray said...

Thank you for this. I think these suggestions apply to all of us.

Rebecca Talley said...

I think you mean Janette Rallison. She's a great presenter, amazing writer, fabulous person, and absolutely hilarious.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Hey, I went to that last year! And Janette Rallison married my cousin! I got to stay at her house last summer when I did a book tour. I'll tell you what, Mesa is so hot that when you step outside, it feels like your eyeballs are going to evaporate right out of your head. Augh. Nice place to visit...in winter!