Friday, August 15, 2008

A Stitch In Nine, Maybe When He's Nine

By Marcia Mickelson


Yesterday, I spent an hour sewing a patch on my son's Cub Scout shirt. He'll be nine in six weeks and in Scouts for almost a year, and this is the first time I've tried to really sew the patch on. I know, I'm lazy--very lazy when it comes to sewing. I don't have a sewing machine--wouldn't know how to use it. So, I sew by hand. I can do buttons, even though it usually takes a few weeks to get around to them.

Patches are a different story. I have to say I'm a little glad I never sewed the patch on because we just moved to a new town two months ago. If I had sewed the patch, I would now have to take it out and put a new one on for his new district. So, see it worked out better in the end. I'm not done with it yet. It's about halfway done, then I have to do his pack number and a few other ones. I hope to have it done by Wednesday so he can wear it to Scouts. He reminded me yesterday that I had promised to have it done last week. That was a promise I broke. So, I really have to keep this one and finish it by Wednesday.

I told my husband yesterday that we are never moving, at least not until my three sons have finished Cub Scouts because there is no way I'm ever sewing another one of those things on if we move to a different district.

4 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

You can use fabric glue, but it doesn't wash very well.

I hate sewing those patches on, too.

Janet said...

Oh, the joys of scouting! We moved so many times that I eventually gave up changing the numbers. My oldest son just finished scouts and I was so excited, until I realized I get to do it all over again with my now two year old! Hopefully we're more settled this time and I can sew them on once and leave them there!

Lee Ann Setzer said...

Good job, sister!

Once they're Boy Scouts, they get a whole new patch every time they advance a rank. Not to mention merit badges.

For the rank advancements, they have these nifty plastic badge holders that hook on a shirt button.

Marsha Ward said...

Stitch Witch doesn't work very well, either, nor does hot glue.

Get a good thimble, girl! Then sew on the patch catching the threaded edges.