Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Happy Pink Shirt


by Shirley Bahlmann
In one single week I overheard three different people say what a wonderful Deseret Industries St. George, Utah had. "The best in the state," "the best in the country," "the best ANYWHERE."
So when I made the 4-hour drive to visit my son in St. George, I decided to visit the thrift store paved with gold. Hm. Well, it turns out is was not gold paved, gold gilded, or gold anything, unless you count the cheap paint on the velvet Elvis painting. In fact, it looked like a regular old DI to me; some trash, some treasures. I actually thought the one in Provo was better because it was bigger.
But then I started leafing through the racks, and I found a few treasures of my own. I always pick about thirty things to try on, and usually only 3 or 4 fit well enough to consider buying. I had a promising-looking pink t-shirt among my treasures, but when I put it on, the neckline plunged so low I was afraid it would end up in Antarctica.
"Mommy, that's so pretty!" my youngest son said, staring up at me as I tugged the V-neck up and up and up.
"The neckline is too low," I said.
"But, Mommy, you can wear a shirt under it," he said.
"I don't know..."
Then came the line that made me know he was a plant, a miniature D.I. salesman, "But, Mommy, it makes you look young again."
Sold.

3 comments:

Lee Ann Setzer said...

Wanna trade little angels?

My 14-year-old saw me in my swimsuit the other day and said, "Wow, Mom--you're not pregnant, so you must be fat."

Thanks, kid.

Kammi said...

The DI here in St. G. is hit-and-miss. (Kind of like Provo...) Lately there hasn't been much and it's been overpriced, but two years back I snagged a set of four gorgeous end tables for $50. We cleaned them up and figured they were really worth $500+...so you never know.

Marsha Ward said...

I once got a $500 electric binding machine for $15 at the DI in Mesa. Had hardly been used.

The Young Mister is very wise, isn't he?